Four Little Walls Copyright 2016. Powered by Blogger.

Week 28: Lazy lampshades

Afternoon!

I know it's really dull to talk about the weather but seriously, WHERE is summer??
I'm gonna have webbed feet by August. Boo hoo.

On the plus side, all the rain and grey-ness means I've been forced to stay in and work very hard on shop launch things, so that's quite exciting!

So this week I made some modern style lampshades.
Mainly because I had some new washi and lace taps that I was desperate to try out but also because both my dolls houses are severely lacking when it comes to lighting. As usual,the lights I've set my heart on are bank breakers so while I save the pennies some stunt lights will do the job. They're super quick, free (if you already have scraps of paper or fabric to use up)
Much in the same vein as the stunt kitchen from last week, today is all about faking it!


What I used:
Paper or thin card
Paper clips
Washi tape (optional)
Glue stick
Tacky wax
Scalpel
Ruler


What I did:
If you're using washi tape firstly lay it flat across your paper, taking care to keep it in a straight line.
I also used lace tape. (My new favourite thing in the world! Sticky backed lace, you will struggle not to plaster EVERYTHING with it, so pretty!)
I wanted a wider shade for the lace so a lay to strips parallel to each other. 




Using a ruler and a steady hand slice the paper strips to your desired width and length. This really can be any you like though I suggest larger shades for ceilings and large floor lamps and smaller sizes for table lights.


I also cut a strip from a paper Topshop bag I'd been hoarding saving as I loved the big, geometric print.


When you're happy with your strips bend them round into a circle and fix in place with some glue.



Leave the glue to dry for a few minutes. Whilst that's happening you can start bending some paper clips to slot inside the shades.

You'll want them to go across the middle of the shade like a real one. Fix in place with tacky wax, take care that the wire is a good fit, too long and you'll bend the shade out of shape.
If your shade is likely to a be a permanent fixture try a little super glue to keep the wire in place.



Now you just need to decide which shade's going where!
Mine don't have permanent homes just yet but I've found a blob of tacky wax and a plain ceiling rose do the job for ceiling shades whilst spare stair banisters and dowel make great lamp bases, plus they can be painted any way you want.

NOTE: I've not used these with electric lights so they may well be flammable, who knows. If anybody happens to burn down their house, miniature or other wise, as a result of pairing these shades with working lights I accept no responsibility! :p


Wishing you a lovely, sunny (fingers crossed!) weekend!
x

No comments